The bicycle finally seems to have its moment. This article in El País< /a> last week reviewed this “explosion”. During the last decades, environmental awareness and the awakening of sustainability policies have been creating the breeding ground to understand the necessary transformation of the urban mobility model. It has always been there as an option, but the expansion of the offer of infrastructures and road networks for motorized vehicles has always been privileged despite the efforts of bike activists and sustainable mobility theorists.
The public bicycle loan systems have spread in a short time throughout the main Spanish cities, trying to imitate and achieve the success of expanding this mode of transport in other cities. The Bicing system in Barcelona has possibly been the closest model that has encouraged others to follow those steps. Thebike sharing, through different models of exploitation and relationship with the user, reaches the streets of the whole world (see this map of identified bike-sharing projects) silently.
You may also like:
- The future of cities. Bike-sharing
- Jan Gehl, the city of people. Janette Sadik-Khan, leadership to make it happen
- Unfinished London. Highways that never were, with a little humor
- Neighborhoods on a walking scale
- Book. An introduction to sustainable transportation: Policy, planning and implementation